Monday, October 31, 2011

Court Cases

  1. Faragher v. City of Boca Raton (March 25, 1998-June 26, 1998) This case stood out to me because is dealt with the issue of gender equality and the harassment of women. Sometimes, I think this is an issue that is overlooked and it is good to see that such a common issue was able to make it to the Supreme Court. 
  2. Board of Ed. of Independent School Dist. No. 92 of Pottawatomle City v. Earls (March 19, 2002-June 27, 2002) I think this case is interesting because, as students, we can relate to feeling as though we sometimes sacrifice our rights a little bit when we enter school. I think it is good to test students for drug abuse if there is reasonable suspicion or evidence suggesting they might be using, but I do think this school district was wrong to randomly test innocent students. It violates one's right to privacy. 
  3. Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (October 13, 1987-January 13, 1988) This case caught my attention because it dealt with something I was actually wondering about with our own newspaper: censorship. I was curious as to whether there were limits on the things we could publish in our school paper, which is exactly what these students had a problem with. Certain things that they attempted to publish in their paper were taken out by the school district, which students argued violated their right to free speech. Do we give up these rights when in school?

No comments:

Post a Comment