Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Healthcare Post #2

One thing that it seems nearly all Americans can agree on, despite what their political affiliation might be, is that it is crucial to make healthcare as affordable as possible for all people. No matter how much money a family has, I strongly believe that they should be able to access healthcare if they need it; they should not have to choose between paying for healthcare and, say, paying for food. However, I do recognize that it is not as simple as this, for the issue arises as to whether coverage should happen on a state level or a national level. To me, as long as everyone has access to a decent healthcare plan, it does not really matter if it is a state or national issue.


Although every person should have equal access to good healthcare, I really think this is important for senior citizens; specifically, older people have a harder time paying for good coverage. On one hand, I think raising taxes slightly would ensure that all Americans have decent healthcare; but, I certainly do not think high tax raises are the answer, for they would leave a bitter taste in the mouths of taxpayers. There should be an in-between. 
One question that always stumps me is if it should be a law that all Americans must have some sort of health insurance. Is such a law constitutional? It is moral? 

1 comment:

  1. I am also confused whether there is an actual law passed saying if healthinsurance for American citizens is required; I seriously doubt it but they government is in for a big punishment if there somehow was/is. I agree also that there shouldn't be a higher taxation but rather an equillibrium, to satisfy taxpayers and the government's "wallet". I feel if the healthcare issue was statewide appose to national there could be the perk of having a low budget funded mandate by the federal government for some sort of healthcare plan to be established. This way there would be a concrete plan for every American to be exposed to and the variation of the healthcare plan may be complicated but it could help different minded people have "options" when choosing the best healthcare for them.

    ReplyDelete